Sunday, June 17, 2012

Foodaroo @ Bonnaroo

Hello all of the loyal Jane Doe: Foodie followers! I have been out of commission for quite sometime accomplishing things for the Year of the Do! Between wedding preparation, bachelorette party in Vegas (stay tuned for those reviews) and my first trip to Bonnaroo...I have had little time to sit back and give Jane Doe: Foodie some lovin! So get ready because over the next couple of weeks I will be releasing 2 blogs a week! 


BONNAROO!! So of course being the music lover I am, I went to Bonnaroo for the amazing music (see separate Bonnaroo music blog) but don't think I didn't devour some of the 100+ food vendors! We had originally thought that we would be eating at our campsite but psshh.. after I walked into Centeroo I said forget that..I am going to Jane Doe: Foodie it up Roo style! They literally had every type of food you could crave (if you know what I mean) for reasonable prices. 

Here is a recap of the amazing food that this little piece of heaven on earth has to offer! 


Day 1: Thursday June 7th 
Broadline: Chicken pita (****) This pita was exactly what we needed on a hot summer day to re-fuel us and not make us feel like we had food babies! Stuffed with chunks of good chicken (I am particular about my chicken), sautéed onions and peppers, lots of crisp lettuce, and a heavenly chilled ranch sauce, this was the ultimate pita. Not to mention the pita was soft and fluffy...YUM! 


Day 2: Friday June 8th 
Dippin' Dots: Rainbow Ice (*****) Always a favorite, Dippin' Dots had carts everywhere at Bonnaroo! This delicious treat really cooled me off and made me extremely happy! For those novice Dippin' Dots fans, the Rainbow Ice is very different from the other flavors...it's more icey than creamy and when it melts it's especially good! 

Petros Chili & Chips Food Truck: Original Chili Bowl (*****) This was by far one of my favorite things I put in my mouth at Roo! I was stoked when I saw they had the Food Truck Oasis with trucks from all over. Petros specialized in chili bowls with some stellar chili layered with Fritos, cheese, sour cream, black olives, diced tomatoes, and jalapenos.  It didn't even matter how hot it was, we got this twice while at Roo

Bearclaw Coffee: Large Blended Iced Mocha's (*****) As most of you festival go'ers know, you must caffeinated and stay cool..our answer: Bearclaw Coffee! Not only were the people working funny and personable, but the drinks and food were soo good. If you wanted to put a pep in your step this is where to go at Bonnaroo

Day 3: Saturday June 9th 
Sweet & Savory Truck: Fried Avocado Taco (****) Wow...this was delish! A tempura fried avocado with a cilantro lime slaw topped with a chipotle cream. The avocado was still firm, which I was really happy about. I just discovered that mush fruit/veggies are just not my thing. The cream was really tangy and the whole thing had a good crunch from the slaw. 

T's Concessions: Curley Fries with Cheese (***) I can't pass up cheese fries and these did not disappoint..for what they were. This was a situation where my eyes were bigger than my stomach, so I am glad I had my Roo buddy to help share. They were good...a bit soggy by the time you got to the bottom, with no fork! 

The Amish Baking Company: HOT GLAZED RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU DOUGHNUT (*****) As I am sure you gathered from the title, this was amaze-balls! I mean this is what it was all about folks. I am a HUGE doughnut fan and as I have been watching my weight for a certain September 15th event, I have fasted myself of all doughnuts, but not this one. It was too special. I have NEVER had something so good. The doughnut was hot and the glaze was so sweet, but not too sweet. I was in love and it was probably best that I didn't stumble upon this utopia again the rest of the weekend! Check out their Facebook page to see all of the other RAVE reviews! 

R&C Thai-Chinese BBQ: Teriyaki Chicken with Fried Rice & Egg-roll (***) I wanted to go a little outside of the box from fair food and food trucks so we tried this place because it had a long line and smelled really good! The chicken was not great, remember I am a picky chicken person, so I ate around the meat. However, the fried rice was great and the egg-roll was really crispy, which is the way it should be, and good. All in all, eh. 

Spicy Pie: Veggie New York Style Pizza (*****) We had just got done shaking our rumps to Red Hot Chili Peppers (truly amazing show, check more about it here) and were famished. I know your saying, how could you be famished after all of the food you've already eaten, but don't judge, I was! This was so yummy and just like New York pizza. The veggies were still a little crisp, which I appreciate and it was big and filling. 

Carnahan's Ice Cream Gazebo: Soft Serve Cone with Sprinkles (*****) By this time at night, 2:30am, after Skrillex had just made 80,000 people go crazy, we thought it was in deed time for a little ice cream. It was yum and kept me awake as we made the 1 mile (approximate) trek back to our campsite. A true treat next time you visit Centeroo

Day 4: Sunday June 10th 
Dobos: Blackened Chicken with Gumbo Rice (*) Ok so #1 I was throughly disappointed when I ordered this and the guy said "that will be $17", I was shocked but it was the last day and I figured what the hell. #2 this sucked. The chicken was grisly and the rice was very dry. All in all I was pretty disappointed. Not to mention later that night when we got 2 happy meals and 2 large drinks at McDonalds for $6.50 and my Roo buddy pointed out that I had just earlier paid $17 for chicken and rice. Meh 

Sweet Tea (*****) The first thing the person checking our car into Bonnaroo said, was make sure you try the South's sweet tea. Traveling through the South I have had my fair share of Sweet Tea, but this was extra awesome and really cooled us off on a hot summers day. We had it everyday! 


And so my friends, thats where my Foodaroo at Bonnaroo ends. It was the most amazing experience and I can't wait to go next year. As you can image, I am on a strict fruit and veggies diet indefinitely! Visit my Bonnaroo Music blog to get a first hand look/listen at the music that brought us here. And please visit the food vendors pages I have linked to in each review. They were so friendly and stuck it out through the heat and deserve some recognition. Also, I have to give Bonnaroo props for having food vendors use all recyclable and compostable materials. 

1 comment:

  1. I am going for the first time this year. I am a huge foodie. And OMG this makes me even more excited.

    ReplyDelete